Sunday, January 25, 2015

Pretty Is As Pretty Does

When I am participating in one form of social media or another, would you like to know what I’m interested in seeing? How people are doing, pictures of their grandbabies or children, holiday vacations, posts about what’s going on in their lives, new jobs, new recipes, or new discoveries on how to stay cool and fresh during menopause. Updates on their cancer treatments so that I can cheer them on and help give them hope, funny stories about their children or their lives, and their love for their pets, bought or rescued.

What I don’t want to see, every single solitary day, multiple times by some, are the rage of selfies that seems to have taken over our lives.  Seriously, how many times a day does it occur to the average person that they need to stop everything, and take a picture of themselves to share with the world?

There are applications and programs just for that. Meaning, if you’ve signed up for an Instagram account, that’s what you’re asking for; pictures of people in all facets of their lives, with other people and without, randomly for some, every other hour for others. All dolled up, lips painted and puckered-up, in bright colors of the rainbow, hands on the hip; ready, aim, shoot. But you knew that going in, you knew it was a shared application for pictures; so join or don’t.

I don’t need to see that same type of thing all over my social networking programs, many of the posts are simply a duplication of what was on Instagram. I mean, how many “likes” do you need to have? How many times do you have to see someone post how hot, cute, or sexy they are before their ego is fed-full and it’s enough? Because by repeatedly posting pictures of yourself, and no one else, that is really your only objection. I get that that on occasion everybody needs a little ego-stroking, but every day? Now if you lose 15, 25 or 50 pounds, get an awesome new haircut/color, or a new car, or an 8 point buck, then yes, I would like to see that.  But I am tired of seeing bathroom/dressing room/rear-view mirror, short dresses (or more like long shirts) and cleavage selfies.

Maybe some would say I might just be a little jealous. Because it’s a fact; my arms are too short to hold the phone out far enough for a decent shot, and my hand is not steady enough to push the button, hold the phone still, and get my sexy on, all at the same time!
I’m not sure if it’s the generation, or these high-tech times, but when did we become so consumed with the need for “everybody to look at me and tell me how pretty I am”. We have become so self-centered and self-absorbed it’s worrisome. So do we need more humility in our lives, or more love; it’s really hard to tell anymore.  Please, take a break. Step away from the mirror and put the phone down.

.





No comments:

Post a Comment