Sunday, March 15, 2015

Dodging Daylight!

I can remember years ago when I was much younger, it was six months one way and six months another; we were allowed to have just as much time each way. Now the difference for one seems to get smaller and smaller every year that passes and the difference for the other, even longer. Soon I fear there will only be one, and life and all the joys I once knew will be changed forever.

I know I cannot be the only one who feels this way, the only one who feels cheated and short-changed. I know I cannot be the only one who is saddened and disheartened by these changes; after all, its life-alternating wouldn’t you say?

Gone will be the days of showering at 5pm, in your night-clothes by 5:30, with darkness falling at 5:45, and no one being the wiser either way. No longer will there be legitimate reasons for you to be in bed- clothes and slippers at 5:30pm, and those night-time cool-offs on the front porch glider are sure to be over with and done as well.

After all, you can’t have the neighbors gawking at you with the sun still shining for gracious sakes! And what are you doing ready for bed anyway; daylight is still burning, don’t you have things in the yard that need tending to? Things inside your home that need taking care of? Clothes to wash, freezers to defrost and tubs to scrub? Because if you’re wandering around in your bed clothes at any time of the day or night, that’s a sure sign that you have no intention of doing much of anything!

I like knowing that when it’s cold and dreary, that it’s also going to be dark early and no one will know that I have planned since lunch-time that day to NOT cook supper, but instead serve sandwiches, be in my PJ’s by the time the six o’clock news comes on and be LAZY the rest of the night! Who but my family would know, or even care for that matter?

By the time you read this, the time will have changed at 2 am last Sunday morning, so I’ll tell you who will know, my whole dang neighborhood, that’s who!  Because as soon as the time changes everybody stays outside longer, the kids are occupied and playing longer; they’re all rejuvenated and excited about the extra daylight. So now it’s all a big mystery; where’s that Mims woman? Why isn’t she outside enjoying life with the rest of us?

Well I’ll tell you right now where that “Mims woman” will be. She’ll still be inside, catching naps here and there, trying to recoup that hour of sleep she lost, which will take her at LEAST two weeks to recover. She may even be closing her blinds so people can’t see in and won’t know that she refuses to change the way she lives just because someone decided to steal sixty minutes away from her. Because she’s just not ready I tell you! Spring forward indeed, bah humbug! 

No comments:

Post a Comment