Saturday, April 18, 2015

Replenishing Rain

I don’t know how other people do it, but I plan ahead for days like this; watching the weather channel, listening to newscasters, anything and everything that informs with accuracy and validity. Because I don’t want any kind of mishaps and miscalculations changing anything I have already have my mind set toward.

It started yesterday when hurting back and all, I set out to get all my errand-running finished, complete with my Tallahassee runs and the weekly trip to the grocery house. With every aching, painful step, I just kept telling myself, keep moving because tomorrow will bring all the just rewards. I’m not sure what I’ve done to my lower back, but this happens on about a quarterly basis, so it’s not new, just irritating, and my local chiropractor is always here to help me get through it. But despite that, I trudged through, just to be able to celebrate what is happening today.

I woke up this morning to a darkened room; it was 9am although by all appearances it could have easily been much earlier. As I laid there and looked around at the glory of it, I just smiled and said to myself, “YES! This is really going to happen today!” Then I got up and begin to live out the day that had already been planned from start to finish.

After I brushed my teeth and washed my face, I walked through the house and towards the kitchen, when low and behold, I saw the best sight I’ve laid eyes on in a couple of years now. There was a small white bag, and a white box which would contain some of the best breakfast-eating treats this side of the Chattahoochee River; Reynolds doughnuts! And in the little white bag were the chocolate-covered doughnuts that they just this week put back into their daily line-up for purchase. I’m still not sure why they stopped making them, or why they started back-up, but there sure are a lot of excited people in Quincy; truth be told, a little too excited over something that would do us all better to be a rare treat than an often occurrence.

Regardless, I made my coffee, gathered my paper plate with one of each: a plain and a chocolate, sat down in my recliner, opened up my gateway to conversation and information, and me, my breakfast and laptop, set-out on a journey with nothing but the rain and rumbling thunder for background music.

These are the days made for body-recovery, self-help wellness, and just a general catching-up on your lives. Simple lunches of soups or casseroles that require little time, and less thought. Book reading that has fallen behind, television shows or movies that relieve the mind and take you to other places with less stress and more joy. Or naps – one of those much needed multi-nap days, minus the guilt for not being busier, doing more. This was the day that God made, and I’m all about living it to my advantage; rain can sure be a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment