Thursday, February 15, 2018

♫ If you Love Somebody, Clap Your Hands ♫


When I was a little girl, the best Valentine experience was in direct proportion to how many “secret” valentines I got in my decorated bag at school. And if was a really special valentine, there would be some kind of candy attached to it as well.

I had absolutely no experience with Valentine’s in Jr High School. I guess I’m going to have to say it was because I had no boyfriends from the 7th to the 9th grade. None that were willing to spend any money on me anyway. What can I say, I was a late bloomer.

But then there was high school and the ever dreaded/popular carnation purchase and swap deal on Valentine’s Day. All the different colors of the carnations meant silly things, but I can remember getting my fair share of them, mostly from my girlfriends.

Because that’s the silent agreement that goes on between females at that age. Girlfriends swap and exchange among one another, that way, no one really knows who did or didn’t get anything from a boy.

And of course there were always the lucky girls who got the huge stuffed teddy bear or a dozen roses that the florist delivers to the front office at school. Although, the boys that were brave enough to drag those stuffed animals to school were the real hero’s.

These days, the gifts have changed and more money is involved with these young kids – but hearts hurt and break just the same whenever anyone is left out or ignored.

It’s so funny how it seemed like life and death back then, depending on whatever happened when Valentine’s Day would roll around each year; that your fate was made and decided that day.

But now I’m a grown-up and it’s even crazier how much my idea of what would make a good Valentine’s Day for ANY day is to me now; like:
1.           When my oldest child comes home for Christmas, and always tries to plan a movie day just for me and him, because he truly likes to do things with me.  
2.            When my husband has worked a six day work week for two months straight, but helps me plant flower bulbs on his only day off.
3.            When my youngest child calls me on a Saturday night, invites me over to eat and play pool with the rest of his friends, even though I’m his 54 year old mother.
4.          When friends send me just-because-cards and surprises in the mail for absolutely no real reason at all.  
5.          When no matter my age, and my parents know I have been sick, they call every day, without fail, to check on me.
6.            When the ever-continuing string text between me and my children sits stagnate for days, then erupts one night in totally inappropriate humor that lasts for hours, because that’s how we roll.

Those are my favorite kinds of expressions of love. Just show me that you love me, show me that you care, listen to me when I talk, and I will listen to you. Valentine’s Day is about love – find a way to show it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment