Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Fun Starts at Sunrise - PART 1


I drug myself out of bed, eyes still half open/half shut and stumbled to the bathroom. I stopped on the way by the linen closet, fumbled for a wash cloth, and continued to stumble until I reached the bathroom sink – which I knew – totally by feel. I fumbled for the faucet to turn on the water and I stood there, dead still, eyes closed, wondering why I ever agreed to this.

The water began to warm up and I wet my toothbrush, applied the toothpaste, and began to brush – again, with my eyes alternately open and shut. Upon completing that task, I was a little more alive, so I grabbed the wash cloth and begin to wet/soap it up to wash my face. Finally, I was almost human.
I trudged to the kitchen to start the coffee maker, because without that sweet hot java, the journey could not continue.

It was 4:30 in the morning and I was trying to be a human being. I was trying to behave like I thought what was happening was as good of an idea as I did the night before when planning it.  As some ideas always seem like so much more fun when I’m wide awake and raring to go.

The coffee had brewed, my cup was already full of what I needed to make it like heaven for me, Splenda and creamer, and I poured from the pot like an addict who needs a fix. As I took the first very small sip, because it’s hotter than a sidewalk in August, I felt the rush.  I could literally feel my veins begin to open up and my blood actively waking-up the rest of my body and my brain.

We climbed into the truck, it was still dark, and we headed out, face of the vehicle first, pulling our soon-to-be bundle of joy behind us. We stopped long enough for ice and the food of my pleasure and his, and we continued on our way.

We pulled into our destination, then we backed-in the rest of the way. We swapped positions, and now I was the driver and he was the receiver. We’d done this dance many times before, but it had been awhile. However, it’s just like riding a bike, you really don’t forget how, and it comes right back to you.

My window was rolled down and I could smell that deep, rich, intoxicating smell that reminds me why I loved it so. And as I breathed it deep into my lungs, I remembered exactly why I decided that THIS is exactly where I wanted to be before sunrise.

I had everything we needed in my bag, I was wearing my pink rubber Avon shoes and I walked the dock and stepped aboard. I could smell the fish just waiting for me to find the right spot, to find them. I found my seat, and as I was gripping my white cup full of green florescent worms in one hand and his bucket of creepy crickets in the other, the boat took off at a slow crawl. 

Tune in next week to hear the results!




No comments:

Post a Comment