Friday, January 6, 2012

And Heaven Brings Another Pretty Girl Home

I live in what I would call an old neighborhood. And by old I mean, most of the people who live around me have been living here for years and years. I myself, even though I'm not a 'native' of this neighborhood, have been coming up and down South Lowe Street since about 1998. And I've been living here since 2005. I know most of the 'regulars' round' here, some of them pretty well. Because as neighbors will do from time to time,  we'll see each other in our yards, and stop and chat awhile.

You come to expect to see your neighbors at certain times of the day. Everyone kind of learns each others routines. So you always know when something is not quite right. When too many days have passed that you haven't seen them. Too many days have passed that their vehicle hasn't moved from it's place under the carport.

And some neighbors you're close enough to, that you are occasionally asked to check their mail when they're out of town, watch over their house, and just watch out for them in general. Because it's just what neighbors do.

For the past couple of years, one of our elderly neighbors has had her share of health struggles. And from time to time, has needed to stay with one daughter or the other after sicknesses or surgery's. But as soon as she was able, she always wanted to come back home to her house. Where her things were, where she could sit in her chair and lay in her bed.

She was an independent soul for sure. Candid, frank, and outspoken. You never had to wonder or question where you stood with her. I'm a lot like that myself, so suffice it to say, I was pretty fond of her.

My neighbor Mrs. Juanita Kelley passed from this world last Friday morning. She had a massive stroke almost two weeks ago. Her health had been shaky for the past year, and the fierceness of the stroke was just too much for her body to take. She leaves two daughters, two sons, several grandchildren and great grandchildren as well as many other close relatives behind.

She got to see so much in her 76 years of life. She "danced" in her wheelchair at her Granddaughters wedding. I even saw some pictures making their way over the internet of something, that favored something kin to a lap dance! And she was smiling from ear to ear. Her great grandchildren are just beautiful, and she was able to spend this past Christmas with all of her family. Up until a couple of Friday's ago, she was still working at Big Ben Wrecker, their family owned business, and driving herself anywhere she wanted to go. And I'm not talking about little old lady driving either! Some days she would pass me on the road!

I sure will miss all the little things I have become so used to seeing. Her checking her mail by the side of the road, at the mailbox, every single day. And when I say checking the mail, I mean she sat right there at the curb, opening every single piece of mail, one by one until she had seen it all. Some days she would sit there thirty minutes or better, car still running and all. Then she would pull into the driveway, under the carport and go into the house.

I'll miss seeing her and her feisty self, with her walker, taking her own trash to the road. My son Zach would go over to help her, and she would politely but firmly tell him thank you, but she needed the exercise and could do it herself.

And I'll miss seeing the Lawn Rangers, my son Zach and my almost son Matt, across the street taking care of her lawn work every other week. She always wanted her lawn and drive way meticulously cleaned. Bushes trimmed and the lawn edged and free of leaves and limbs. And worry, my grand she would worry herself to pieces until she caught up with those boys to pay them their due.  Several times when she was staying with her daughter Kathy, she would call me, making sure the boys had not forgot about getting paid. She wasn't even at home at the time, but it was important that her home stayed intact, with or without her there.

I'll miss that our phone number is on her home phone speed dial, but that our phone will never ring from there again. We'll never again hear her ask us to come kill a snake that has gotten under her carport.

And I'll miss her standing at the edge of her yard, talking to me about my Spring flowers, how pretty they are, and how good they make her feel when she drives up the road every day. 

From all of us on Lowe Street, rest in peace Mrs. Kelley. You're finally free of pain and suffering. Yes sir, Heaven brings another pretty girl home, and I'm pretty sure, Mr. Kelley is sure glad to see his pretty bride again.

3 comments:

  1. OH MY MICHELLE, IF SHE COULD, I'M SURE SHE WOULD TELL YOU HOW DEARLY SHE IS GONNA MISS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, AND HOW YOU ALL SHOULD STILL MAKE SURE ALL WAS GOOD AT HERE HOUSE AS LONG AS Y'ALL LIVE ON LOWE STREET :(♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw what a sweet story ... I'm sure she appreciated everyone of ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete