Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013....And That's A Wrap Folks

I wonder when one finally makes it to ninety years old, if you finally know everything. Ninety years of living should be all the time you need. I think as long as we are here on this earth, we should be learning something.  

As I was reminiscing on the year we are leaving behind, I began to think about all the things I learned in 2013; and instead of making a list of resolutions, I decided to make a list of learned realizations.


1.  The successes you have with the struggles you face depend on your mind, attitude and heart being in the right place.

2.  Tragedy doesn't always happen to other people or strangers.

3.  Family is the most important part of your life, but even family can become a disease that you must learn you cannot fix, treat, or cure; simply love from a distance.

4.  You only have one body; take care of it.

5.   Losing a job of 20 plus years can be devastating and change is hard. You have to get over it and move on.

6.  The older you get, the more people there are who will need your prayers.

7.  You are never alone in your troubles; yours may just be the only ones you know about.

8.  No man is too big to fall. Choose your Hero’s closer to home.

9.  All good things do not come to those who wait. But good people will always be better for the effort.

10. My worst decisions or choices do not define me.  I am a good person.

11. Never turn a deaf ear or a blind eye to what your children will or will not do. I have personally watched family's crumble from the realization that their children, really are, like most children. Be there to catch them when they stumble and fall.

12. I've had to call on God and our relationship a lot more than I ever have before. He knows me like no one else; even my shorthand prayers are understood.  

 13. And finally, if I shut my mouth and close my eyes, I can listen with unbiased thoughts. I can learn to completely stop judging by what I see so that I make better decisions based on facts, not prejudice; with my eyes wide open.  

May you be happy with what you have, find whatever it is you're still looking for, and be satisfied either way it turns out. Love everybody you can as much as you know how, in as many ways as you can demonstrate. Apologize when the words out of your mouth are colder and harder than you intended, and back it up with a hug. 

Instead of writing a list of ten things you want to change, pick one, and make it happen. Work on number two next year. The goal is accomplished completion, not predestined disappointment.


Happy New Year to you all and I’ll see you on the other side..the new side....the fresh side...of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment