Saturday, March 1, 2014

When Words Are Music, Oh, What A Song They Sing


I woke up this morning, laid there and thought, "Please leave me be, please go away, I am NOT going to get up today!" I stepped out onto the floor, and it began; "Left foot, right foot, feet, feet, feet, how many feet do you meet?" I knew, no matter what, "The time has come, the time is now, you can go by foot or you can go by cow, but Michelle M. Mims (Marvin K. Mooney) will you please go now?"

What a beautiful man Theodor Seuss Geisel must have been, for nothing but beautiful thoughts and sing song rhymes seemed to run through his mind. His only intention, his only joy, was to make children laugh and smile. To make children love listening to his words, so much that they would want to do nothing but read or to be read to. He wanted them to experience the glorious magic of every day words. For once those words were put together in a flowing rhythm; they appeared to be nothing short of words without music. ♫ I love my house, I love my nest, in all the world, my nest is best ♫

I read his books to my boys before they ever entered this world, and again, until they were old enough to read themselves; infusing voices, expressions, sound effects and laughter through every story and every word.

A resounding thank you to the man who brought rainbows, duck feet, trips to the zoo, children jumping on bear tummies, horses called Robert, and balls that cannot be caught. He brought us all of those things and so much more with color, pizazz, love and laughter. His magical words rolled out of his mind and onto pages; words spoken with musical notes. Pages accompanied by colorful pictures to capture the attention of little eyes. Elegant, gracefully placed verbiage, that entertained to the highest degree of pleasure. 

He brought thousands of hours of joy to me and my children. If it were up to me, his birthday would be a National Holiday. We would fly the flags in every city at half-mast. We would shut down all the businesses for a day. And march. March down the streets of every small town and big city, reciting his words out loud, at the top of our lungs.

Every school in the nation would do nothing all day but read his books out loud in the class rooms. We would read, read, read, all day long. Until all the laughter in the streets, the schools and the world reached his ears in heaven. And hopefully, we could in turn, bring him the same joy he has brought all of us for years and years and years.

Dr Suess, you are the OTHER love of my life. Bless your genius mind and your passionate heart. Happy Birthday and love from us all. I’ll bet story-time in heaven is packed on the day it’s your turn to read; may your words live on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment