Saturday, March 12, 2016

Three-Ring Circus

Oh I know – all I seem to do is prattle on about women/menopause, how much I love food (obviously), my insanely funny family, and my children – I endlessly talk about my children.

I talk about all of those things on continual-repeat-mode because the rest of the world is just a crappy thing to talk about right now. Every now and again, I do a breaking-story-column, chockful of current events and one tragedy or another.

And although I have feelings about all of those things, and some are so strong that I can’t breathe unless I let them be aired – I really don’t like talking about those said events. Most of them are sad and depressing. And besides, what could I possibly have to contribute that hasn’t already been said around every water cooler and break room table in America?

So if you’re wondering why in the world, with all the obvious material available to rant, laugh, and repeat – if you’re just astounded why I have had absolutely nothing to say about the months behind and ahead of us – and the election conversation; well, I just really figured one more column about a bunch of clowns in a round-tent-circus would be one column too many.

Fact is, my views, my thoughts and beliefs are so diversified and scattered from one conscious end of the globe to the other – I’m not up for the arguments for or against me and my beliefs – nor do I care to hear about yours and your need to change my mind and walk your way.

I believe just as strongly as all of you, and like you, there is a reason for my rationale, and at 52 years of age, no one is likely to change my set-in-stone mind thoughts.

My problem is – because of the one-end-of-the-spectrum-to-another thoughts I have – this has been the most confusing and undeniably most difficult election year I have been a part of or been witness to in my lifetime.

My hope is this:
That the person who is elected president of this United States can make us whole again and make us proud once more to defend living here.

That it’s okay to believe in Jesus and to say so out loud, and that if you don’t, well that is your choice too – without passing judgement in either direction.

That our children can feel safe in school and church again, and that gun control doesn’t consist of taking guns away, but instead, teaching and certifying how they should be properly used by each owner.

That we can all learn to live together and love one another for who we are as human beings without hate and judgment of gender or color.  

My list goes on and on – but I have yet to see a single candidate who fits my full-length criteria or who doesn’t make me cringe every other time they speak.

I’m not sure that any present candidate can pull us all together and accomplish any of those things; but I’m still waiting and hoping for a miracle; because we sure need one.


copyright 2016 Michelle Mount Mims
Also previously published @ The Havana Herald


No comments:

Post a Comment