Sunday, September 16, 2018

Until We Meet Again


She was Bronx, NY the minute she opened her mouth. She was straight-forward, blunt, and she was of one the hardest working women I have ever known. I am not ashamed to admit that I was terrified of her for the first six months that I would know her and work with her. She definitely gave a first impression that she wasn’t to be messed with.

I would meet her the summer of 1981, right after my high school graduation. A friend of mine worked at one of the local Piggly Wiggly’s and she called to let know they had an opening for a cashier. I would work there for a little over 5 ½ years and I would learn more on that job than I probably have most others combined. But what I really learned the most about was people. It definitely wasn’t high school anymore, where everyone was within and age or so of each other, their minds were built somewhat alike, and everyone was moving in unison in a forward motion.

People there were of all ages, and seemingly came from all over the place. Many were locals for sure, but some, like Mavis, were definitely not. To this day, I can remember trying to mimic her accent, and never, not once, even coming close. It was thick, it was mucked-up with something akin to both dark alleys and side-street markets with fresh fruit in the front bins. Kind of like her personality I guess. Her switch from wide-open mouth laughter to stern eye-balling stares could be as fast as lightening and sometimes hard to determine where things went off the rails so fast.

My now ex-husband and I would later become friends with her then husband and we would spend time outside of work together. Eating meals together, playing cards and board games, and we all took in a country concert or two. Her favorite country band back then was Alabama and she and her husband had seen them in person several times; I feel sure they didn’t have a bigger fan of their music.

Her favorite drink was Kalua and Crème and I can hear her and that accent ordering it from the waiter right now, with a lit cigarette stationed between her fingers. Her sense of humor was as bawdy as she herself was bare minimum, and I loved it. I would get married the first time in March of 1984 and she stood as one of my bridesmaids.

Her favorite television actor/crush was Tom Selleck. He starred in a television show back then called Magnum PI. I will not say she slobbered or drooled when she saw him/talked about him, but that’s only because she might come back to haunt me if I did.

I would learn a week or so ago, that Mavis Hatcher died in a nursing home August 7th in Albany Georgia; she was only 67. I am so sad that I didn’t know, didn’t visit her, and didn’t bring her comfort. I don’t know how we all lose our way in life and lose the people who matter. But I have never forgotten you Mavis Hatcher, and pray you are resting in peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment