Wednesday, November 7, 2018

The Aftermath


It was finally a nice Fall-feeling morning - and the timing just seemed right for it all; we cleaned up all the flower pots until next year; moved them to the back of the shed in the back yard where the mighty oaks will protect the Gerber roots until next Spring.

Cleaned out the Canna Lily bed; it might have made it a little bit longer had Michael not come thru and ripped it to shreds. I’ll pick up some straw this week and lay that bed to rest until next year as well. 


The Lantana beds seem to be having some sort of revitalization - second wind so to speak - so we’ll leave them for now as they are blooming all over again. 

I don’t see many birds these days but we refreshed all the feeders and took the hummingbird feeders down until next Spring. 

I still have a blank space in my front yard where my beautiful Drake Elm fell to its death. I’m sure Esposito’s will see me soon for a replacement.  My yard needs to be balanced and my porch screams for the shade it had just begun providing. I won’t be replacing my Red Maples and Sycamore - it just wouldn’t be the same.

And while I wax poetic about my lost trees, I am well aware that many, many people lost their homes, their personal affects, and lifetimes of memories. Some right here in Gadsden County, the outer-lying areas, still do not have power. The many, many linemen that are here helping from all over the place, are doing their very best, but in some cases, in the outer lying areas, there are so many trees down that getting through them has to be the first step/priority.

You can still ride around most anywhere in town and still see things that make you wonder if our little town will ever look the same again. The landscapes have definitely been altered and it’s a sad thought, but even with the re-planting of tree, many of us will not be here to see them reach their beautiful potential again.

The outreach that I seeing continue has just been amazing. I’ve always known that was the way our community was – but seeing it in full action, full force, day after day, has done nothing but to remind to me once again, why I choose to live in this small town without all the modern conveniences of a larger city. Family – we are all neighbors and family in times of need.

Since the storm my youngest son has worked sun-up to sun-down, running chain saws, skid steers and bobcats – whatever it takes to bring some normalcy back to his own neighborhood and many others.

Every single person I know is living these sudden life changes right now. Mourning what’s been taken and thankful for what remains. We’ve all been here long enough to know that life always goes on - we just have to make up our minds to follow the new path and make it work. And we can – because we’re Gadsden County folk – and we never back down from a challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment