Monday, October 29, 2018

His Name Was Michael

The experience was hopefully a once in a lifetime for me; I never want to re-live anything like that again. We were very fortunate structurally, as we lost nothing – just several beautiful trees down and a yard slam full of Pine limbs strewn everywhere; that would take days to clean-up the debris and get it to the road for trash pick-up.

We managed better than many as we have a gas water heater and a gas stove top. Both of those things provided hot showers, and manageable, albeit minimal meals. And that was okay in the first few days of the aftermath as we had a “cool front” come through. Then the heat began to climb again to crazy temperatures for any October on earth, and we were all sweltering and wondering if we would survive it.

For about 36 hours afterward, I would have to say the scariest thing was no cell service. The towers were all struggling and we couldn’t get a call in or out – and no texts were going through as well. My parents live in Albany, Georgia which is where the storm would travel to next and I had no way of knowing how they were faring through it all. Between not being able to reach them or talk to my oldest child in Vermont to reassure him, I am not exaggerating in the least when I say I thought I would lose my mind.

The way this town came together in the days afterward was just amazing. Everyone helping everyone else, chain saws buzzing and moving from house to house to help their fellow neighbor. As friends/people regained power, we had so many offers to come shower, borrow a generator, wash some laundry, or just come and sit and soak up some a/c and have a refreshment or two and try and feel human again for a few minutes.

And I have to give a special shout-out to Allen Suber of Winton Suber Heating and Air – he never fails to call on us and offer to help in absolutely any way that he is able; I will never forget his kindness and compassion during this time.

For days afterward, I would humor myself and maybe Face Book land, with my hair-drying antics and stories. Nothing about this has been fun, but you have to find the humor somehow or you just can’t get past it. Of course, continuing to look at pictures from all of our neighboring towns and beach cities was enough to sober anyone up and certainly enough to bring anyone whining back to reality. But I gotta tell you all, drying your hair (because eventually you have to go back to work and look presentable) while your home is 85 degrees INSIDE and trying to apply make-up that you’re sweating-off as fast as you can apply it – well it was quite the experience in itself.

I am praying for quick healing and recovery for all and I know how far and wide this horribleness spreads; but I still believe if we all come together, we can do anything. Even get through something as horrendous as a hurricane named Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment