Sunday, May 15, 2016

Home Is Where The Heart Is

This Mother’s Day was a first for me. Well, I guess technically it wasn’t a first, because I haven’t always had children – but it was definitely a first since the first time I became a Mama.

This holiday, as life and fate would work things out; I found myself alone for the first time in 30 years, and I was not prepared for just how empty/sad that would feel.

My husband took a job that would have him out of town for better than a few days – including the weekend. My youngest son had made prior plans to go out of town weeks before, not realizing that it was Mother’s Day weekend, and of course my oldest son lives almost 2000 miles away – so Josh appearing for the occasion was not happening either.

My youngest son took me out for an early celebration Thursday night, which was a first for us – an adult dinner – just the two of us, in which I didn’t pick-up the tab. It was nice, both of dressed for a night out, sitting there in a real restaurant, having adult conversation; and my oldest sent me a nice card, with a beautiful inscription.  

As I said, sitting at home just didn’t quite seem like the road I needed to take this year. My folks were originally supposed to have come to Quincy for a visit and lunch, but now with just myself being here, that seemed a little pointless.

So I packed up a bag, locked down the empty house, and headed home - to Albany Georgia, to celebrate my Mother’s Day and to celebrate my mom’s with her.

It’s not all that often that I have my folks to myself, and it was so good to be back home. We all went out and had a lovely dinner, we took a drive afterward to show me some of the changes and growth in the area and then headed back to their house where we would laugh, tell stories, reminisce and laugh some more.

Sometime around seven o’clock – my Daddy’s sweet tooth must have kicked in and he left out for a destination of Krispy Kreme. Now they have one of those about a mile from their home, but here, it’s a trip to Tallahassee – so that really never happens.

We had eaten lunch at sort of mid-day – so I guess you would call that our supper, and what a treat that was – and one I can’t honestly say had ever happened when I was younger. Isn’t it so much fun when you grow-up and your parents are the fun people now? When you can laugh, use salty language and feel like you can talk to them about anything – and eat DOUGHNUTS for supper?!

It was a wonderful weekend and the best decision I could have made. It was nice to have a just a mother/daughter celebration for a change, and again, it was selfishly nice to have them both all to myself.

Thanks to my Mama and Daddy for a very special Mother’s Day, and I sure hope my Mama’s felt the same.


copyright 2016 Michelle Mount Mims
Also previously published @ The Havana Herald





No comments:

Post a Comment