Thursday, January 31, 2019

BIRDS GALORE!


For those of you who get tired of hearing about my birds – you might want to stop reading right about now. But you’re going to miss out on hearing about all the “new” birds I’ve had at my feeders; birds I’ve never seen the likes of around these parts before.

About three weeks ago or so, I realized I had ran out of my regular bird feed and I was almost out of the peanuts. So I headed out to Lowes for my feed as I get my regular bird feed from there. Well low and behold, they had plenty of feeders – houses, tray/plates, and even hummingbird feeders, but all they had for regular bird feed was the little 5 and 10 pound bags. Shoot fire, none of that was going to do, my birds can go through that amount in less than two days. I couldn’t even imagine – did they think birds don’t hang around here in the winter?

So, I thought to myself, I need to go to my local Bell and Bates store anyway, as that’s where I get my bird’s specialty feed. I decided I could just look for the regular feed there as well once I arrived. I drove back to Quincy entered the Bell and Bates and there where all the Cole’s feed is usually stationed – the end-cap was full of feed just waiting on me.

Now from Coles my birds especially like the Blazing Hot Meat blend; I can’t hardly keep that in the feeders. And if you are wondering if it’s really hot, both my youngest son Zach and husband put some in their mouths when I first started bringing it home. It’s hot. I promise. Down the aisle was the regular feed and they had it in 25 pound bags so I went ahead and bought two.


The cashier rang-up all of my items and I can only imagine was she was thinking. I had almost $50 worth of feed on that counter – all for birds!

Anyway, I got home, and remembered I hadn’t ordered my peanuts. So I went on-line and began that process only to find out, that they too, were out of the 25 pound bags I normally order. They only had the 50 pound bags – and well – you know what happened. My birds have to eat.



As Amazon promises, the peanuts shipped and delivered in two days. I don’t think I was quite prepared for what 50 pounds of peanuts really looks like! I had absolutely nothing to keep all that in order to keep it fresh. So yep, you guessed it, another trip to Bell and Bates was needed to buy storage buckets with lids.




You may think I overly obsess about my birds – but they bring me joy – they bring me peace. The pure pleasure of front porch sitting and watching what surprise will fly up next – well, you’ll just have to experience it for yourself to know. If you want to see Baltimore Orioles, both male and female which are different colors, woodpeckers galore, blue jays, cardinals, sparrows, finches, and a couple of pine warblers – feed your birds.




No comments:

Post a Comment