Thursday, January 10, 2019

ROLL TEARS ROLL


I was home alone, so whatever was about to happen and take its place in history – it would happen without an audience.  It wouldn’t officially start until 8pm, it was already dark outside, I was already half-sleepy, and I was already wondering if I would make it until the end to see the results.

I had been amped-up about this for days! I mean who wouldn’t be? Well, I guess fans of other teams could have cared less, but I am a true-blue Alabama fan, so the fact they had made it all the way to the National Championship – well, I could barely contain myself.

So, there they were, Alabama and Clemson, set to take the field. All the niceties were over, interviews said and done, and Clemson’s band was on the field for one last show before kick-off.

Both teams individually burst onto the field, pumped and exhilarated with what must have been the ultimate high. The game was being held in California, where obviously, neither team was from – but given the colors of orange and red spread throughout the stands on all sides – you would never know these southern teams were in a foreign state.

I had actually read earlier that day on the internet that tickets were hard to sell, and they were worried about the stadium being filled to capacity. Well, if there was a seat left, I surely couldn’t tell, and they were of course, all mixed together as that’s how random seats are sold. No one side is sectioned off for either team. So, you could fully expect to see an Elephant head sitting next to a Tiger face and looking like they couldn’t be happier about it!

I’m going to be truthful and tell you that I knew from the initial kick-off, things were not going to go well. Alabama was intercepted on the first drive and it was all down hill after that. Yeah, we scored a few touch downs but we couldn’t get a ball between the uprights to save our soul. Clemson came prepared and ready, and they came at Alabama with all their heart and soul, ALL NIGHT LONG.

But I’ll tell you what impressed me the most about that Clemson team – they loved and believed in God and were not afraid/ashamed to say it. Before the game, after the game, so many of them interviewed, gave all the glory to Him.

Football Is What You Do.  It Is Not Who You Are. – Trevor Lawrence said, “It’s kind of always been my personality. Football is important to me, obviously, but it’s not my life.”   
Situations Do Not Have to Define Leaders – he added, “I would say knowing who I am outside of that, so I just know no matter how big the situation is, it won’t define me.”
A Leader’s Identity Should Be in Jesus Christ And Who He Says You Are – Trevor concluded by saying, “I put my identity in what Christ says, who He thinks I am and who I know that He says I am.”

That’s the winning Clemson Quarterback right there folks. That’s a young man, who’s winning in life.

Congratulations on a well-deserved win Clemson!



No comments:

Post a Comment