Thursday, January 10, 2019

Days of Dining


There is a restaurant that my husband and I frequent once every couple of months; the name of it is The Wilderness Cabin and it’s located on the east side of Tallahassee. It’s a totally buffet-style place to dine, with a large open area, decorated to match the name, and clean. Always very clean, and the lady that runs/owns it must be at least in her early 80’s, but man alive, does she run a tight ship.

They have waiters and waitresses, but with it being a buffet, their only jobs are to tend to your tea/water glasses, make sure you’re still doing alright (usually asking when your mouth is full of food) and then they leave the ticket behind – assuring you there is no rush, just pay and leave at your leisure/convenience. And of course, keeping the tables clean as diners come and go.

All of the wait staff dresses in black and white clothing, and all know their duties, as the owner’s eyes rove often and see everything, and no area better sit too long with empty chairs and dirty table-tops. She runs the kitchen staff in the same brusque manner – as no warming-tin had better be scraped empty before another is replacing it – even if she has to do it herself, which she has.

The restaurant has been open about three years now I guess, and what I have noticed the most is the crowd it attracts. There are on occasion younger folks who come in to dine, but as a general rule, I’d say the crowd age range is between 60 and 90 years of age for the most part. And I do mean 90, equipped with walkers, wheel chairs etc. And they are all dressed to the nines as they say, complete in their best Sunday dress, fancy church hats and all.

And while they do draw a huge Sunday lunch-time/after church crowd, you will see them dressed that way pretty much whatever day you grace the inside of those doors. It’s a generation that still believes in dressing-up to go out and dine, and it’s hard to believe that Levi’s and flannel shirts have ever been a part of their attire.

Because of the cost, you’re not likely to see gangs of families with handfuls of children – and honestly, that’s alright by me. Frankly, it’s nice to go somewhere, sit down and eat, without loud groups of people or antsy children who can’t/won’t be made to sit still in their seats. And because no alcohol is ever served – this is strictly a sweet tea joint - you never have to worry about unruly scenes of any kind.

But mostly what I notice, is myself and my husband, being noticed. People looking at us as if to be thinking, “oh my, what I wouldn’t give to be that young again”. Because I’m noticing them as well, in their fine clothes, carefully combed/fixed hair, and wondering if I too, will have still have that grace and care about myself when I reach their age; it’s definitely some to aspire to.  I pray I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment