Thursday, April 11, 2019

I Just Need A Break


I watch the local news at 6 o’clock and the “big” national news at 6:30 – every single night, without fail. Many days I don’t want to watch. Many days I’m already in such a mood by the time I get home, the last thing I want to see is more things to make me angry or depress me. But still, I watch, because I feel like I need to know what’s going on both locally and in the world.

But I’m telling you folks, sometimes it feels like my days are numbered for even continuing that tradition. Great goodness it gets old listening to all that bad stuff. I guess at least the national news always tries to end on a good note, with a heart-warming storyline about one thing or another. But by then, you’re so worn out from the “real” news, you barely have it in you to care.

So, when I say, that me and Face Book might be about to part ways – there is a reason. I was introduced to Face Book in 2009 – the year my oldest child was leaving for graduate school in Tuscaloosa, Alabama – Roll Tide! I joined so that I would be able to keep up with the going’s on of college life away from home and I thought it would make the departure less sad.

I’ll be truthful and tell you it didn’t help much. I mean, I enjoyed seeing all the pictures and the smiling faces. But it was still five plus hours away instead of fifteen minutes – so tolerable it did make it – less sad – not so much.

And I’m not saying Face Book hasn’t been good to me in other ways; my goodness at all my old, long-time friends I have been able to find! It’s contributed to and help create – many luncheons back home over the years, and allowed me to sit next to, pray for, and laugh with, so many wonderful people I hadn’t seen since my school days.

I can see where they live, their hobbies, their grandchildren and children, and just what life is like for them as we have all obviously grown older in time. I absolutely do enjoy all of that – every single minute of it.

I’ve had more than several girlfriends affected by one cancer or another, and through prayers and daily cheers of support, I’d like to think my internet presence has been helpful in their lives and difficult journeys.

And lastly, I truly did like watching my youngest child grow-up in color – colored pictures that is. Because you know that generation was the first to arrive with cell phones plastered inside their palms and no event went by that wasn’t recorded without a picture and mostly likely, on Face Book.

But it seems to have become nothing more than a political forum these days, and nothing about any of that is usually kind. I won’t even list the potential target subjects – the whole world already knows.

My soul needs kindness and compassion not ugliness. My eyes need pretty flowers and butterflies. My heart needs to see love not hate.  Maybe I won’t leave, but I definitely need a break.


No comments:

Post a Comment