Friday, November 25, 2016

LIGHTS! CAMERA! ACTION!

It’s going to be a busy, next couple of weeks for me. Not only am I trying to prepare for Thanksgiving, but I have also scheduled a small mini-vacation for the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving which only adds to the chaos of the holiday week!

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Callaway Gardens at this time of the year when they have the Festival of Lights.  I mean I’ve been to Callaway Gardens, Warm Springs, and all of those historical sites several times in my life with my family as a child, and later as an adult with my own children. And all of those visits were wonderfully educating and enjoyable. But I have only seen the Festival of Lights in pictures, and as beautiful as that is, I just know it’s going to be some kind of spectacular in person!

So about two months ago I went on-line and made our hotel reservations and bought our trolley tickets. Now you can either drive your own vehicle down the roads throughout Callaway that are lined with lights OR you can take the train trolley and ride through that way. And you know I had to pick the one that I thought would give us the ultimate excitement experience – and that was the trolley.

I actually got a pretty good deal because you can buy packages that include the Festival of Lights, endless tours through the Butterfly Center (which is AMAZING) and several other things that Callaway has to offer: like golfing, zip-lining etc.

My husband does not golf and you’re not about to see my behind rigged-up in wires shooting across the wild blue yonder, 50 MHP, from one pine tree to another! So I’ll just stick to the things that feel a little more age appropriate for me – like walking with my own two feet on the ground, riding in a car or trolley, and photo shoots of beautiful butterflies.

We plan to leave out the Friday before Thanksgiving week and come back that Sunday afternoon. Now here is the kink in ALL of those weekend plans – it’s the last weekend for Nascar racing. Oh I know – I can hear the gasps as you fans read these words. “How dare she? How could she? Has she lost her mind?!”

Well yes, some would say I did.  But no worries, I have looked at all the time schedules of the races, and somehow, we should be able to manage to fit all of them in with a little constructive scheduling of our own.

When we depart on Friday, my plans are to stop in Columbus, Georgia on our way up, the city in which I was born, and visit/drive-by both the houses of both sets of my grandparents who have passed. One lived in Phenix City, Alabama and the other in Columbus Georgia. It’s Thanksgiving and it certainly feels like the time to visit and reminisce a bit.

Other than that, the weekend and holiday week will take its natural course and another Thanksgiving will come and go. I wish you and yours a safe and happy holiday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment