Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Moment Of Silence

You can say you know how someone feels. You can say you know how hard it must be. Most everyone has lost someone. I have lost all of my grandparents, some aunts, uncles and two cousins. But I still have both of my parents. Both my mother and father are still living. I don't know what that is going to feel like. I cannot imagine. So, I cannot say I know how you feel.

When it comes down to it, to the bare bone facts, your mother and father have been with you longer than any other people you will ever know. They have been with you since the beginning of your life. The vows that are spoken when you are married, are much more appropriate for the parent/child relationship. For richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death do you part. How true those words hold. If I am hurt, in pain, need an ear, or some guidance, I call my parents when I feel no one else will do. They will listen to me when they are tired, when they are trying to put up grocery's, or standing in the middle of Home Depot trying to pick out paint colors. They will listen, if I call. 

I am forty seven years old. My parents are sixty nine and seventy years old. Your day will be my day....one day. I pray I will be ready, but I know, that no one ever is. Nothing can prepare you for the loss of a loved one. Nothing can heal the heart that breaks into pieces when you receive that news. No one can take the place that has been left empty.

I wish I was there. I wish I could hug you my friend. I wish I could whisper comforting words, and rock you back and forth. I wish I could help dry your tears, ease your pain and heal your heart.

Love will see you through. The love of your family, and the love of the one you have lost. She will help guide you through your pain. Along with your love for God. In the tomorrows to come, the tears will dry and the laughter will return. Laughter is the greatest comfort of all and it heals all wounds. You will remember stories, and re-tell them until you feel better. You will remember things you have not thought about in years. Until you feel as if, within your memory and words, you have created a cloud of comfort for yourself.

We all love you Debbie. And in turn, we love your family.  We will all be here to listen, should you need an ear. Or a shoulder should you need to lay your head down to rest. Our prayers are with all of you. May your mother rest in peace.  Amen.

copyright © 2011 Michelle Mount Mims

6 comments: